Wednesday, November 5, 2008

For Yesterday

I was woken up yesterday morning by Benjamin at 630 a.m. I know that sounds normal to all of you but he usually sleeps til about 8. He was coughing pretty bad and it only took me seconds to realize he was wheezing. He has struggled with asthma since he was born and this was the worse one yet. I have a nebulizer and a life time supply of Albuteral here so I started treatments. The first one did not do a thing he sounded just as bad afterwards. So I immediately gave him another one. Sometimes it takes two, and thats what we so at the doctors. They told me last time that I could do this at home before I came in. I waited for the second treatment to finish, and had a little voice say in my head that I needed to take him to the doctor. I instantly thought that this was just the "paranoid mom" I have in my head that visit to make things worse and blurs the image of what I see to make them much worse than they are. I tossed it aside and continued to wait for this treatment to work. Meanwhile Jacob was awake now and wanted some cereal. So, I left Benjamin to finish the treatment by himself, he is a pro and I knew he could handle it. I got Jake some thing to eat and came back to check on Ben. He had finished his medicine and I gave it a min before I started to really listen. Sure enough that little voice was not my paranoid self. It was The Holy Ghost. After two treatments he seemed worse. I called Bobby first, he had a teacher development day yesterday, so he had no kids. He told me that we are given as mothers that intuition and I needed to follow it. If I think it silly or not. I then called my Mom and she told me the same thing. So I made an appointment with his doctor and waited for it to be time. I called at about 11:30 and his appointment was not until 2:30 and it was about 45 mins away from me. It was the longest 2 hrs. of my life. In that time I gave him 2 more treatments and kept him calm and sitting, which was not hard and just confirmed that something must be wrong. every other time before this has happened he has still been a ball of energy I have to try to control and keep from getting to excited. Yesterday he just sat on my bed. He did not want anything to eat or drink. So, i left my house at 1:15 and met Bobby at his school which was about 2 mins from the doctors office. He took Jacob back to work with him for the remainder of his day , which was about 20 mins., and I took Ben to see Dr. Nyarko. We got there about 20 mins. early but the staff was great. The doctor was doing a circumcision and for obvious reasons had to finish. His nurses took over. They checked to O2 level and went to talk to the doctor. The doctor came in quickly after that and explained to me that his O2 level was 94. In order for us to leave the office it had to be back up to 98 or better and if we could not get it under control Benjamin would have to be admitted to the hospital. Benjamin was a trooper through the whole thing and this kept me from breaking down. It is so hard to watch your children so sick. Well, sick at all. We had to do three treatments of a medicine I will not even attempt to spell, but it does the same thing as the Albuteral, but is way stronger. His O2 started to gradually get better and was at 98 at the end of that. They tried to give him a pill so that he would not have to have a shot, but Benjamin was not having it. So he had to get a shot in his leg. This was the worst. He cried for about 5 mins., well he screamed and would not talk to the nurse after she did that to him. He had already gotten two suckers for doing such a good job and the nurse felt so bad that the shot upset him so much, we ended up with a bag of farm animals as well. He finally said thank you after we got the animals and we were free to go. On the way home I got to really thinking about my prompting and all day had not given the thanks I needed for that nudge to go to the doctor. If I had waited any longer and his O2 dropped to 93 he would have had to be admitted to the hospital.

So today, well yesterday, I am thankful for the Holy Ghost. I know that He is real and can be with us everyday if we choose to make him an important part of our lives. I am so grateful that I was blessed to be born into the church and have the knowledge of the Holy Ghost since I was little and then to have received the gift of his presence for always when I was eight and choose to be baptized an d become a member of the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter day Saints. I know the Church is true and I am so grateful to have it in my life and to see it blessing my children's lives as well.

7 comments:

The1stdaughter said...

I'm so glad to hear everything is okay. How awful. I hope you both start feeling better soon.

Travis and Ashlee said...

Thats scary, but so many times you have to second guess yourself cus being a mom you worry about everything and you think everything is worse then it really is. glad you got the prompting and took him in. To scary. Glad he is ok

Anonymous said...

So glad you listened to that spirit. I know also that if you listen to him, he will guide you in the right way. Glad he's ok and didn't have to go to the hospital.

The Pea said...

You go mom!!!

You know my favorite saying "You are his mother" I do not care if they think you are silly or stupid or being overprotective. At the end of the day you are the mom, you are the one who the lord has given divine inspiration for this child, you are the one who has to account for what you do and do not listen to in regaurds to his souls! The holy ghost talks to you!! How grateful I am that you know this and act upon it! Give that boy a hug for me and have him hug you as well.
What a scary day, but once again YOU GO MOM!!!

A Sharing Heart said...

Wow, being a mom is really hard and scary at times. I am so glad that everything is ok and that you did listen to the Spirit. How blessed we are to have the Spirit guide us in every direction of our life.

Trent & Lindz said...

Wow what a scary situation! You're a great mom and listened to the Holy Ghost and swung into action. I'm glad Ben is ok!!!

Brianna said...

I am happy he is doing better and that he didn't have to go into the hospital, man being a mom sometimes is scary stuff! Thank goodness for the Holy Ghost.